Friday, March 12, 2010

Video

At work they've got a wall of big screen flat panels setup with a constant loop of 10-15 music videos in order to do a stress test on them.  There are speakers attached to the flat panels, but the sound is usually never on.  And I am downright ENTHRALLED by this wall of video.  Every time I go into the lab I find myself stealing glances at these screens.  Or purposely turning my chair toward the wall while I work so I can just zone out, mouth agape, watching artists I've never heard of mime their way through various set pieces and situations.  One of the videos shown is Crystal Method "Double Down Under".  Give it a view, but imagine it 8 feet by 6 feet, with no sound.  It's something that I just can't get enough of.

It looks something like this, but with bigger screens and less of them.

I think it helps that I was really, really into music videos during the heydey of MTV.  I'd watch TRL nearly every weekend, Making the Video to see how music videos were shot, and the program that would premiere new videos every week.  Since they started doing this stress test I've begun to wonder:  Have music videos pretty much died since the early 2000s?  Or is it that I just don't pay attention to them anymore?

1 comment:

Dr. Bergeron said...

The problem is, is that most music made and Aired on MTV since the early 2000's isn't worth listening to. So why watch a video about a song not worth listing to when you can not watch it instead.

Not to mention, when's the last time you truly seen an outstanding music video on the MTV video music awards. It's just the same Britney Spears dancing with the same backup dancers in the same outfits.

You don't see anything like "Smack My Bitch Up" anymore because really, American Pop Music is the biggest fail in music history.

Auto-tune my rusty sheriff's badge as it erupts all over Lady Ga-Ga's face.

Now whatcha think about THOSE apples.