Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2010 Goals

Rather than label these as resolutions I believe I shall call them "Goals."
  1. Sky Dive. Failed in doing this last year, so it's a pretty high priority for this year.
  2. Learn First Aid. See #1.
  3. Volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. See #1.
  4. Finances. Last year I did a decent job getting my finances in order, but this year I'm going to take it one step farther. Every Monday morning I'm going to enter the balances of all of my accounts into an Excel spreadsheet. Currently I use Mint.com for keeping track of all of my info, but there doesn't seem to be a way to find out exactly how much money is in each account at a specific point in the past, so this will alleviate that issue. Plus typing in each dollar amount will make the money seem more "real," and I won't plunge back into spending willy-nilly.
  5. Blog 2x a week. The frequency of my blog posts has been rather sporadic the past 6 months or so (as you can see over to the right), but blogging helps clear my head, and is good for the soul. I'll be posting every Tuesday and Thursday (as it seems that many other blogs post Monday-Wednesday-Friday so this will fill in the gaps). I plan on working ahead a bit to get a few different posts "in the hopper" ready to deploy in case work gets in the way.
  6. Get rid of some of my stuff. Moving reinforces the fact that I plain old have too much worthless crap. Boxes full of stuff that I kept just in case. It's foolish, and considering we just moved into a new place and there STILL isn't enough room, I think it's time to make a change. We've already gathered 3 or 4 boxes of stuff we realized right away that we didn't need, but as time goes on I'm going to take a good hard look at all of our stuff, and figure out what stays and what goes. Most of it will be donated, but some could be sold on Craigslist for some extra money, and there ain't nothing wrong with that.
  7. Spend more time with Family. I have two nieces, ages 5 and 2. I see them 8 times a year, if I'm lucky. I have two brothers, one sister-in-law, and one girlfriend of a brother. I see them about 5 times a year. I have two parents. And I see them 15 times a year. This isn't enough for me. We've moved a bit closer to all of them recently, and now that the girls are older and everyone is settling down it'll be easier for them to come down to visit also. Hopefully we'll be able to plan camping trips and other vacations around seeing them, 2 birds 1 stone.
Best of luck to all of you in 2010.  If you need help keeping track of your goals for the year I recommend this little webapp.  You "check-in" every time you do one of your goals that has a frequency.  I'll be doing it for my blogging.

No comments: