Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Yo Joe!

So the G.I. Joe movie comes out this weekend.


I'm excited. Along with Ninja Turtles, G.I. Joe was a big part of my childhood. I'm not sure when I discovered it, but my brothers had a brown cardboard box with "GIJOE" written in black marker on the top of it. Inside was about 10 figures, and two big vehicles, a Cobra Stun and a G.I. Joe Snow Cat Being from the Northwoods I used to LOVE that Snow Cat. I never actually took it outside to play in the snow, but as a 6 year old with an over active imagination that hardly mattered. The two arctic themed Joes we had, Frostbite and Iceberg would cruise around the couches and floor of our living room and shoot the ski missile at the escaping Cobra forces. Seriously, ski missiles.

The first Joe I ever got was from collecting UPC labels from boxes of Rice Krispies. Because Kellogg's didn't want the action figure to have any guns my Lifeline only came with a backpack and a medkit, but I was still stoked when I got him. As the years rolled on I was able to assemble a pretty decent army of Joes, but like all good things my interest in them came to an end.

Just like when I was a kid, though, Joes are back in the action figure aisle in full force, and it's kinda cool to see. Hopefully the movie does a good job of introducing G.I. Joe to a new generation of kids. I know I'll be seeing it this weekend, and fighting the flashbacks of Flint, Beachhead, and Stalker rappelling down the side of our couch into enemy territory.

And knowing is half the battle.

1 comment:

Dr. Bergeron said...

What's the other half of the battle, greg?