Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Bane of My Existence


I've been very happy with nearly every aspect of our new house, minus one thing: the parking situation. Out place came with a two car garage, plus a concrete slab next to it that can fit one car. This would be more than enough if a family lived here, but we're 5 working people with 5 cars. Add in the fact that you can't park in the street overnight, and things get difficult. Shorewood offers parking lots for $45 a month, but the stipulations of said parking lots are borderline ridiculous. The first lot we could get into had rules for when you could have your car in there. It had to be out by 7:00 AM in the morning, and couldn't return to the lot until 6:00 pm. Considering I work an 8:00 am to 5:00 pm job, this provides some issues. For the first two months I made sure that I was leaving the lot by around 7:00, and when I returned home I would park my car on the street until after 6:00 pm. This was a pain in the ass.

However we also signed up to be on the waiting list for another lot, and after a few months we got put into this lot. The only stipulation for this lot was that you could only leave the car in the lot for 4 hours during the day, so it would need to be moved out of the lot during the day. Not really a problem, for the most part. However, this parking lot is between a funeral home, library, and the village hall, so it is used CONSTANTLY. Monday nights, especially, are the worst. For the past month I've come home on Monday nights only to find the entire lot full. No problem, I tell myself, I'll just park on the street and move into the lot in an hour. But then an hour goes by, and I go to move my car AND IT'S STILL FULL. I'm paying damn good money for that spot, is it so hard to make these other people park on the road?

The fact that parking is the biggest headache in my life should make me happy, though. Things could be a lot worse.

3 comments:

Chad said...

You should put your habitat skillz to the test and build a loft over the cement slab. It'd be a loft with a door/ramp on it, supports hanging off the edge into the ground, maybe a nice varnish finish. It'd cost about 200$ in wood I bet.

Or, just start parking on the lawn.

BLaZE said...

I'm a bit lost here, first what does 4 hours during the day even mean? (I hope its something like "from 8am-6pm, only 4 hours at a time" which would only be a more lenient version of your last rule)

Also, are they overbooking the parking lot? Or are these other cars parking for free? I hope that's not the case because I would slap you for paying money when you can act like every other schlup and just mosey on in.

Gregor said...

Yep, that's what it means BLaZE. So I'd have to move my car out, and then back in. Some experimenting has revealed to me that they can't really patrol this, though, so I can just leave it in there everyday.

And you pay to park it there overnight, basically. There's no street parking from 3:00 am to 5:00 am everyday.