Thursday, March 19, 2009

Run Like Hell

Unlike those other people I loathe running. Unless I'm running for a purpose, like being chased by secret agents or wild animals, I find myself getting terribly bored. However, the weather on Tuesday was so nice down here I figured that going for a run would be a good idea. Even though I work out a bit in the winter months my aerobic exercise is pretty limited. So I got home from work, had myself a Fiber One Granola bar for energy, and then headed outside. I had plotted out a course that would take me around the neighborhood, about a 3 mile trek. After stretching a bit, I started off and within 40 feet realized I'd have to amend my trip to something much shorter. I decided to just run to Lake Michigan and back, not wanting to give myself shin splints or anything of that nature. 2 blocks into it and I was sweating already. The combo of a short sleeve and a long sleeve t-shirt was too much, but it would have to do. After cross the last rode before Atwater Park, I decided to take a little break and check out the view. Even in March it's quite a view from the bluff, and there were groups of people walking on the sand below and playing in the jungle gym.
After sitting for about 5 minutes I decided to head back, and made it about 3 blocks before my body pulled a mutiny and decided that walking sounds much better. And so I walked the rest of the way home. A grand total of .89 miles was covered, .4 of that was running.
But I shall not give up. I plan on running again today. Maybe the cooler temperatures will keep me moving at a steady pace. I'm going to try to take the same route as last time, and run it the whole way (with a nice break in the park, of course). Right now I'm in "video game shape," and I'd like to take the next step into "softball shape" before that season begins.

3 comments:

Ric said...

otherwise you'll just have to hit HRs so you can walk those bases instead.

Belle said...

I also loathe running and, though I tried to learn to like it, I don't. I hate it. I also don't understand the runner's high. I've never enjoyed running long enough to get one, and if I want to get high, it only takes me 1 minute, not 5 miles. LAAAAME.

BLaZE said...

Haha, I guess we will postpone the tuesday track workout invite for a future, unforeseen date.