Friday, February 20, 2009

It IS Orange...Kind of...


So one of my many quirks is that I call the middle light on a traffic sign "orange." I don't know why I do this, just something I started doing as a kid and never was able to shake off. Anyways, people tend to laugh when I say "it's going to turn orange," because it's commonly known as a yellow light. So I did some poking around on the wiki for Traffic Light, and what happens to catch my eye?
Its purpose is to indicate, using a series of colors (Red - Amber - Green)
Amber, you say? So I read a bit further and come upon this:

Although the word "yellow" is common parlance in the United States, the color of the actual lamp is usually only slightly more yellowish than the amber used in Europe.
AhHA! And for my final step in the journey, the Wiki for Amber says...

Amber is an orange-yellow color that got its name from the material known as amber.
That means more orange than yellow! For all these years I thought I was slightly color blind, but it appears that everyone is just a sheep to the man! Just because someone says that it's yellow DOESN'T make it yellow, ya heard? From now on I shall hold my head high while proclaiming "that middle stoplight is ORANGE!" Score one for the home team.

8 comments:

Ric said...

You better start calling it "amber" then, instead of orange.

But whenever you say that, I'll just think of Jurassic Park and Dr. Hammond's cane.

BLaZE said...

"That means more orange than yellow!"

Let me quickly debunk that statement of victory. Amber is RGB (255,191,0) that is the exact middle of Yellow (255,255,0) and Orange (255,127,0).

So it's actually a draw. Sorry kid, someone had to say something.

Gregor said...

However, Mr. BLaZE, if Crayola has taught me 1 thing over the years it's that the color that comes first is the dominant color.

Thus, Orange prevails.

BLaZE said...

I thought your post was supposed to be about going against the grain when it comes to societies (Crayola) norms....

Thus, tie. Or actually, we all tie, and you lose because you're a hypocrite.

Gregor said...

Crayola isn't society, it's LIFE.

Ric said...

What about RoseArt?

Chad said...

well, considering it's RGB meaning RED GREEN BLUE

There is no "dominate orange color" between either yellow or Orange. But the fact that Yellow is one of the primary colors would mean that it is the dominate color and thus orange.

If you were using CMY though, for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow.... yellow still wins and you lose, twice.

Just a big tall mexican loser.

BLaZE said...

Yeah, Greg. See.

That was a typo, where I said "Draw", I actually meant "Greg loses."