Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Extinction of Cash


So when did this start happening? It seems like anytime something requires cash the answer is "I don't have any on me, let me run to the ATM." I understand that it's usually easier to just pay with a credit or debit card, but I don't like doing that for 2 big reasons. Stores get charged a percentage of the transaction by the credit card company, and I'd rather that money go to the store itself. And when you actually pay with cash you realize just how much money your spending, and maybe that this purchase is kind of foolhardy? (The same applies to any system that has you buying "points" that you use to purchase something. You don't feel nearly as guilty when you spend 1200 Microsoft points on a downloadable game if you don't remember what the conversation rate is.)

I like to always keep some cash on me, especially when I know I'll be going out and about. But the lack of cash of everyone else gets on my nerves in certain situations. Say you take a taxi, and everyone else is lacking in dinero. Guess who's paying the fare? Or how about when you go to a restaurant, and they won't allow you to split the bill 8 ways (don't get me started on how stupid this "rule" is). So this is my bleg for the day: carry some cash around with you, even if you plan on using your credit card for most everything. It'll help me out, mainly because I'm planning on pickpocketing all of you.

mwahahahahha

4 comments:

MrB said...

taxis accept credit/debit now granpa... moveon.org

Ric said...

Another point for the budget-minded. Having cash makes me physically know how much money I have. And subsequently, how much I'm throwing away each time I spend it.

And not all cabs take credit. I got shit from Payroll because I expensed an ATM fee in Orlando last June. The cab only took cash.

Belle said...

No thank you, I will not be carrying cash for your benefit. If you carry cash, then I will put expenses on my card and you can pay me. Having cash makes me spend a dollar at a time. I have cash so I'll grab coffee or something like that. Nope. Not convincing Gregor. If you don't like people not having cash, meet up with them instead of carpooling or taxi-ing, or before calling said taxi, say "I'm going to call a cab, does everyone have cash for the fare?" When people say no, it's their problem to find a solution to get to a location or offer to pay anyone back that does have cash at that moment. "Sorry, I don't have cash on me, but when we get to the bar I'll buy you a drink"

I'm not changing my money habits because you don't like that you have cash. Stop carrying it then so you're not the odd ball. And Mr. B is right, cabs have to take cards now. Or tuck and roll beyotch.

Belle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.