Tuesday, January 13, 2009

With That Gun in Your Hand...

It's a lot heavier than I thought it would be. I have to adjust my posture to keep it level. "So make sure you keep the butt of it tight in your shoulder. And then lead it by a little bit." Ok, I can do this. I yell out "PULL!" with as much gusto as my 11 year old self can muster, and a clay pigeon takes flight. I swing the shotgun, wildly trying to keep up with the flight of the bird, and with it relatively close to my sights I pull the trigger. KA-POW!! I flight back on to my hindparts from blast, and I can feel the tears start to creep out from the corners of eyes. My eyes stop ringing for a second, and I hear my older brothers laughter in the background. I turn around to see them doubled over with glee, while my dad stands there smiling at me, about as proud as I've ever seen him. "Not bad, but next time make sure you lean into it a bit. That way you don't end up on the ground." Sure enough, I give it another try, and even though I miss the clay again I don't end up eating dust this time.

And that's my first experience shooting a real gun. Sure, I'd practiced with a BB gun before, and had probably shot a .22 rifle sometime before that, but a 12 gauge shotgun was the first real weapon I had ever fired. And I liked it. Unlike my brothers, I wasn't big into hunting when I was younger. Sure, I'd go with them most of the time, for squirrels and ducks and pheasants. But the part I enjoyed was the actual shooting. And real hunting has very little shooting.


Anyways, I was reminded of this when MrB and myself went trap shooting this past Saturday. Some of his co-workers invited us to brave the cold and shoot clay pigeons with shotguns, just like how I started. And it was a blast! Sure, neither of us did as well as the other guys, but it was the first time I had shot a shotgun in 3 years, and the first time he had ever. Just goes to show you, video game skillz are applicable to real life.

2 comments:

Ric said...

Or, real life's applicable to video game skillz?

MrB said...

I shot like seven of those fuckers.