Monday, January 5, 2009

Things I Love #8: Grape-Nuts


I have many aspects of an old man, but the most pronounced is my love for this odd cereal. After buying a few cheaper bags of Malt-O-Meal yesterday I decided to "treat" myself with a box of Grape-Nuts. How many other people under the age of 81 have ever said that? Anyways, as a food lover I realize that food is not only about taste, it's also about texture. And boy howdy do Grape-Nuts have a unique texture. It's like little pieces of granite, but if you let the milk soak in the correct about of time they've got an amazingly loud crunch when the flavor comes alive in your mouth. And it makes a wonderful warm breakfast on a cold winter morning...all you have to do is pop it in the microwave for 15 seconds. Or, if you're an old soul like myself and enjoy putting fruit in your cereal, then I highly recommend putting grapes in with your Grape-Nuts. The sweetness of the grapes compliments the cereal perfectly. Honey works well too, apparently.

So if you've never tried Grape-Nuts, or haven't had it in a while, please give it a go, for my sake. And if you don't like it I'll buy the rest of the box from you. Seriously. I'll just stock up on all the boxes you guys send me. David up there says it never goes bad, and I believe him.

7 comments:

Ric said...

WAAAIT a minute. You're supposed to warm them up?

That might make them a little mushier; and less prone to three tooth brushings before I get all the "granite" out.

MrB said...

Anyways, as a food lover I realize that a good nut is not only about taste, it's also about texture. And boy howdy do Big-Nuts have a unique texture. It's like little pieces of granite, but if you let the man-milk soak in the correct about of time they've got an amazingly loud crunch when the flavor comes alive in your mouth. And it makes a wonderful warm breakfast on a cold winter morning...all you have to do is pop it in the butt for 15 seconds. Or, if you're an old soul like myself and enjoy putting condiments in your nuts, then I highly recommend putting tobasco in with your Big-Nuts. The sweetness of the tobasco compliments the nuts perfectly.

Chad said...

mother fucker. You and your grape nuts.

I can't honestly say i've had grape nuts since i was maybe 3 or 4 and wanted some from grandpa wainscott. I decided right then and there that i'd had enough of that foolishness.

Gregor said...

When I was brainstorming this post I thought to myself "I guarantee someone will probably relate this to gay sex somehow, based purely on name. Probably Ivan."

Thanks for not disappointing me.

BLaZE said...

Ivan was talking about gay sex?

Belle said...

Grape-Nuts + warm milk = mushy grossness. You lose all of the amazing harsh crunches when you warm it up! When I was younger, I would literally pour a bowl FULL of them and then try and guess the perfect amount of milk needed to enjoy the perfect ratio of nuts to milk, with mounds of sugar for a delectable and unhealthy way of eating an otherwise healthy cereal. I always ate too many.

By the way, Ric loves heaping bowl-fulls of Nuggety Nuggets. She texted me and told me so.

Ric said...

That I DO.

When I was younger, I too added about half a pound of sugar to my grape nuts, to make them taste like food mostly.