Friday, January 9, 2009

My Dream Job....When I was 6.


All of my best ideas were used up when I was a tot, and this is the best example I have. I was riding in to Wausau on a snowy Wisconsin night when I proclaimed to my parents, "I know what I wanna be when I grow up." I then dove into the details. There seem to be plenty of people to clean off snowy roads, but what about snowy road signs. Signs get dirty and dusty, covered with snow, yet you never really see anyone going around cleaning them off. So when the plow trucks go out into the night to keep the roads clear I would load up my pick-up truck with a sign scraper and a brush, and go around cleaning off the "Hwy 43" and "Exit 342, 1 Mile" signs, for all the travelers. They would slow down, roll down there window and shout out "Thanks Gregor! What would we do without you!" And I would reply, "Don't thank me, ma'am, just doin' my job!"

I thought of this last year when I was traveling around downtown looking for Joey Buono's Restaurant. There was a storm the night before, and all the street signs facing North were covered in a thick clot of ice and snow. I had no idea where I was going! And so I remembered Little Gregor, 16 years ago, and his proclamation to fill an untapped niche. I'm currently writing up a proposal to have "Sign Plower" added to county jobs state-wide. I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Ric said...

Awww.

So precious as a child you were.

Belle said...

You sure had dreams didn't you? Sign cleaner. I think that's right above Gutter shiner. Shoot for the stars Gregor. I have a feeling you'll end up somewhere...

Although, it does show your desire to help others. My childhood goals involved protecting animals and trees. I apparently cared nothing for humans...

Chad said...

oh michelle, you were destined for PETA.

Greg, I have thought the same thing in the past... well not that i wanted to grow up to be a sign cleaner, but that someone SHOULD be cleaning those signs.