Thursday, January 8, 2009

Flashback to 1949

With the adventure of moving comes the inevitable period of time when we don't have cable TV or internet. For this latest move it was approximately 4 days, but it might as well have been 4 weeks. Unlike my comrade (who spent his evenings curled up in the corner muttering "internets...needs thems.....my preciousssss") I kind of enjoyed not having TV or the internet to waste my time on. Until I needed to see what the weather was going to be like for the day. Or was expecting an important email. Or the hundreds of other things that are only a few clicks away that I had started taking for granted. I needed to find a hardware store to get some keys made, but without the internet I had no idea where to look. So I did the only sensible thing: drove around until I found one. It only took 20 minutes, and it one the bright side it gave me a better idea how the surrounding area is laid out, but even then, it's amazing how helpless one can feel without the access to technology.
I had plenty of things to do around the house, putting things away, cleaning, laundry, etc. And when I wasn't that I used my time to read a how-to manual, but yesterday was the big one. I went home around 11 AM to wait for the cable guy to come. And I waited. Made myself some lunch, read for a bit. And waited again. I'm starting to go crazy. He finally showed up around 1, right when I was about to lay down for a nap. Eric was around too, so with someone there I took off to run some errands, and had the bright idea to pick up a video game as well. God of War was on plenty of lists for one of the best PS2 games of all time, so I picked up a used copy from Gamestop and hooked up MrB's PS2 in my room. Even after playing that for hours I'm STILL restless. What the frak did people do during their free time back in the 1940s, before TV and video games? 6 hours later the Time Warner guy was finally finished (he had to run lines to everyone else's rooms, so now we have 6 TVs in the house that are cable ready. Yes, I also shook my head at this thought.) Oh sweet internet, how I've missed viewing you in the comfort of my own home! I check my email, the weather, some usual links, and within 20 minutes I'm done.

Now, I used to be able to piss away hours on the internet, never accomplishing anything. And it helps that I spend a lot of my work time on it, but I really don't see myself sitting on it for hours on end at home anymore. It helps that my computer is in the basement, instead of being readily accessible in my bedroom, but I still want to cull my usage of the internet at home down to vital things. No one has ever been on their deathbed and said "man, I wish I had looked at more memes and viral videos."

2 comments:

Chad said...

"No one has ever been on their deathbed and said 'man, I wish I had looked at more memes and viral videos.'"

-Assuming I don't die of a sudden heart attack or an axe to the throat, I'm going to say that just to spite you.

BLaZE said...

If you had a heart attack you could try to shout it out quick. I think that would still count as a deathbed.

And yeah, I remember the times I didn't have internet or cable I actually did my homework, excercised, then ended up getting bored and going to bed at 8. It sucked.