Thursday, January 15, 2009

Drugs are Bad, Mmmk?


On a whim today I started re-reading Kevin Smith's 9 part tale of "Me and My Shadow," detailing Jason Mewe's (better known as Jay of Jay and Silent Bob fame) drug problems. You can find Part 1 here, and then dig through the March and April 2006 archives for the rest. I hadn't read it for a long time, but it immediately reminded me of Scar Tissue, the autobiography of Anthony Kiedis. Lead singer of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kiedis had a huge problem with drugs throughout much of his life, and has been in and out of rehab many times. I've only known one person (that I know of) that ever had a drug problem, and that was a few years after she had recovered, but hearing stories about it from her was enough to make my skin crawl. Skipping out of class to snort cocaine, the nosebleeds, and worst of all: going clean.

I'd like to think of myself as a strong person, with resolve enough to know that drugs fuck up your system and in many cases your life, but would I be able to pull myself away from them? The girl I mentioned before (let's call her Darla) went clean with the help of her boyfriend at the time, but he literally had to keep her occupied for 3 days straight, while she cried and screamed at him, and clawed at her own arms until she drew blood. Kiedis' stories have the same heartbreak, with living in abandoned apartment buildings with other junkies.

My day's of looking down on people with drug issues have come to a head, but there is no "I know how you feel" for this instance. I don't know how it feels to have a craving for anything so much that I'd lie, cheat, steal, or screw to get it. So for any of my readers out there who had a drug problem, or know someone who has over come theirs, I tip my cap to you today.

3 comments:

Chad said...

I think we're both lucky to not have gotten addicted to stuff like that.

Belle said...

I love Jay. I'm so glad you posted this story Kevin wrote.

On a side note, I've never known anyone to fall victim to drug abuse that didn't come out of it relatively easy. My friend Matt actually spent years doing coke with several of our friends, including me at times, and he got pretty into it for a while, but once the dealer was gone, so was his drug addiction. Guess he didn't have the desire to seek out a new source.

The only other person I can think of was my aunt who was a severe alcoholic and eventually died in her bed at the age of 45. But she was inbalanced and depressed. Bad combination.

I really try not to look down on people with addictions as well Gregor. Mostly I just feel like I wish I could have helped. Especially my aunt.

Ric said...

I remember the first time I saw cocaine in real life: freshman year of college, in the dorms. But I refused.

I have an addictive personality -- if I start something I usually go all out. Food, drinking, sitcom marathons, coffee (mmmm)... and once upon a time, cigarettes.

I smoked from the age of 15 until August 31, 2008. (With the exception of an 18-mo. hiatus at the end of college.) Even THAT sucked, and it's legal (albeit socially tolerated at best), compared to hard drugs like coke, heroin or prescription drugs, etc.

I knew if I tried cocaine even once, I probably wouldn't be able to hold back.