Tuesday, December 30, 2008

What a Year...

So let's look back to the beginning of 2008. I had just moved to New Berlin, with 3 people I had never lived with before. I'd soon be starting my first real post-college job. 2007 had probably been my best year, with tons of new experiences and meeting some great new people, but now everything was changing. It was time for a test, and the year 2008 was definitely that. For the first few months my schedule was terribly bland. Get up in the morning, go to work, come home and play video games/watch TV, and then go to bed. Repeat the next day. Work was rather 'meh,' but I survived thanks to BLaZE and Katie. Weekends were spent visiting friends in other cities, and drinking myself silly. I got to go skiing twice, so that was excellent.

As the thaw of Spring began, my spirits began to lift as well: I was finally getting over an old girlfriend, and Cabin Fever had me wanting to get out of the house as much as possible. We went to a freezing Brewer game in the beginning on April, which began my Summer long obsession over the Brew Crew. We got all dressed up and went to a martini bar downtown (and drank martinis with scorpions in them) towards the end of May. About this same time we all said goodbye to Chad, who up and moved to Florida to live the dream, so that was kind of sad.

Lot's of Brewer games, grilling out, Milwaukee festivals, swimming, and generally enjoying the summer followed that. Then came Summerfest, Carolyn's bday, more Brewer games, camping, Lawn Olympics, a new girlfriend, State Fair, softball. In short, summer ruled.

Next came the roadtrip with Charlie out west. It seemed like no big deal at the time, but the fact that we drove 2/3 of the way across the country without A/C and without killing each other is pretty impressive. I like to think of the trip as a introduction course to the country, because I found tons of places that I'd want to go back to and really dig into (who knew Utah was so beautiful?)

Summer slowly turned to Fall. I got to see Foo Fighters in concert, Chad made a surprise visit, brewery tours, MORE Brewer games, housewarming parties, Rock Band, a vacation to Door County. Fall was rather righteous also.

Winter was great too, with Halloween, FINALLY visiting the Milwaukee Domes, fancy restaurants and being the only person that actually enjoys the cold weather.

All in all, 2008 was great. It seems silly to think that "every year just gets better and better," but it really does for me. What does 2009 have in store for me? Well, we'll have a sneak preview of some of the stuff I have planned tomorrow.

2 comments:

Belle said...

That makes me happy! I'm glad that each year you find you grow in happiness. Think of how flippin happy you'll be when you're 80! Happy. (I figure I hadn't said it enough already.)

BLaZE said...

Hope you knocked on wood after you posted that. Actually, scratch that, I wouldn't mind being the one in the waiting room of the ER for a change.