Friday, December 12, 2008

Saturday Mornings and Weekday Afternoons


As a primer for today's discussion please go here and check out all the theme songs. Now I know that far too many people tend to look back on their childhoods with fond memories and say "man, such and such was so much better when I was a kid." But this one is for real: Cartoons when we were young are SO much better than they are now. And the proof is in the pudding, just see how sweet those opening songs were! And this is only a small handful of the quality shows we all grew up with. I personally watched the first 8 shows on that list (and have vague memories of M.A.S.K too), and straight up delighted in watching the intros for those shows. How can you not smile hearing the siren and then the synthesized "duuuh da da da duuh" of Inspector Gadget? Or that funky bass line followed by "Life is like a hurricane" for Ducktales? I just know you sang out "Ch-ch-ch-chip N' Dale, Rescue Rangers!" (And as a side note, it still amuses me that they were dressed as Indiana Jones and Magnum PI.) I used to watch Smurfs right before supper on weeknights, so much that my brothers called me "Gergamel." Those smurfing assholes. And I liked Alvin and the Chipmunks because there was me and my 2 brothers, and Alvin and his 2 brothers (though I always wondered why Alvin got top-billing). I haven't talked about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in a while, but to be frank I was a Turtles freak when I was a kid. I'll get into that next week.
And Muppets? Well I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Muppets. We'll probably talk about that sometime too. But to tide you over check this out.

6 comments:

Ric said...

I love love loved watching the two-hour block every afternoon during the summer. My favorites were Rescue Rangers and Ducktales. But, what about Talespin? I loved that song -- along with Baloo and Kit. Oh, and Darkwing Duck.

Belle said...

What the hell were you doing inside during the summer???

Epic Gecko said...

Staying away from the geese.

Ric said...

We stayed with grandparents in the summers, and they ate supper at exactly 5 PM. That meant they couldn't scold us for not being outside because they were busy cooking.

And, staying away from the geese.

BLaZE said...

You should stop lieing to us and post on your real love. Power Rangers. I know you heard me talking about ninja turtles once when you were very young and impressionable. But that doesn't mean you have to lie to the nice people on the internet.

Gregor said...

Good point about Darkwing Duck and Talespin. While Disney's theatrical releases were stellar during the time (Rescuers Down Under!), their TV shows were equalled as good.