Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Pocket Knife


In my never ending quest to be manly I've started to carry around a pocket knife. I had completely forgotten about this particular pocket knife until we went up to Door County a few months back. In preparation for the fishing aspect of the trip I found my old tackle box at home, and while checking the contents I discovered an old pocket knife. I scratched my head, trying to remember where and when I had gotten it, but like most of my things as a kid it must have been a hand-me-down from one of my brothers. The blade was rusted and dull, the handle was cracked and "A R" had been scrawled into the end of it, but other than that it was perfectly workable. I made a mental note after that to look into ways to rehabilitate an old knife.

From what I found, there were a variety of ways to go about it. Steel wool was recommended, so I picked up a pack at Fleet Farm, along with a sharpening stone. When I started the blade was almost completely rust colored, but after about 30 minutes of off and on wiping the blade looks like it does in the pic above. In person I can make out the feint outline of an arrow along with the word "Universe" on it. Then I carefully sharpened it, and while there are still some notches on the blade it took an edge very well. It cuts like a dream. I think as time goes on I might try their other recommendations like WD-40 or naval jelly to clean off the rest of the rust, but it's good enough for right now.

So why a pocket knife? Well, like always, Art of Manliness does a better job explaining it than I ever could, but the days of me opening boxes with my keys has come to an end. My job is very desk-oriented, but once in a while I'm tasked with more hands on work, and a pocket knife is perfect for cutting zip-ties, opening boxes, and generally looking like an old soul. I have now added the pocket knife to my arsenal of essential pocket items such as wallet and keys.

7 comments:

Belle said...

One more thing to forget, in my mind...

Chad said...

Just a warning to take it out before you go to the courthouse/airport.

I didnt see the courthouse coming and almost got tackled and maced.

Gregor said...

Belle - I always put my stuff in the valet box on my dresser when I get home, right away. Keys, wallet, knife, id badge, phone. That way I always know where they are....most of the time...

Ric said...

Now you can be the guy that pulls out a knife any time anyone even begins to struggle to get the ribbon off a present. At least, that's what my grandpa does. Hell, he sees a present for someone else and pulls that thing out.

Don't get too antsy.

BLaZE said...

I once got a free keychain pocket-knife from Scheels sports or fleet farm for buying a license. It suprised me how often I used that thing, I figured it was essential, but now it broke and I have been living without it for nearly a year. :-/

On another note, I think my dad was born with a pocket knife. There isn't a single occasion where he hasn't had one when it's needed. (Ie, as above, present opening)

KiltRunner said...

Aparently you can get arrested in Scotland if the police find a pocket knife on you. Intent to kill. Damn, and this coming from the people that brought you "FREEEDOMMMM!!"

Rebecca Paltrow said...

Thanks for the informative post. It helped me a lot. May the Force be with you.
Pocket Knife Online