Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Piece O'crap Phone


I held out for as long as I could, but the time had come: if I wanted to be kept in the loop I needed a cell phone. I was in my first semester of college, and it hadn't struck me until I lived in the dorms that EVERYONE but me had a cell phone. Needed to make a phone? Well I'd bust out some quarters and try to find a pay phone, or whip out the calling card with only 6 minutes remaining on it. Ah, the good old days.

So I talked to my brother and he recommended Cellcom, a smaller cell company that was local to Green Bay. We went to the Wausau store and I went with one of their cheapest plans because, how much is a manly man sans girlfriend going to be talking on the phone. This was for emergencies only, I told myself. I picked out the free phone, a Kyocera K493LC. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but it had a built in flashlight. How cool is that? I ended up wearing out the flashlight on that phone, mainly because I used it to blind people, search for stuff, etc. It would constantly drop calls, it was darn near impossible to text, and the ringtone I chose was terribly annoying, but I loved that little bugger.
So tell me folks, just how crappy was YOUR first cell phone?

7 comments:

Ric said...

I think I had the same one you're talking about -- at one point. But my first phone was a Motorola V120T. It had a blue clear face cover and different ring tones that were way too electronic and sounded more like robots trying to make noises with their mouths instead of actual songs. The screen was yellow and only had black font. I had that thing for four years, and I LOVED it.

Speaking of which -- I think you need to make an investment on your current phone.

Gregor said...

This is my current cell phone, for the record.

It doesn't receive pictures, so I need to go online to look at a pic that people send me. It has been described as archaic.

Ric said...

Not described as, defined as.

MrB said...

get a new goddamn phone already.

I might be getting one of those latest gen phones. Currently I have to carry my cellphone and my ipod and want a gps...

If I buy a phone i'd have all three in one... maybe next year.

And my first cellphone was archaic too, but that was quickly replaced of course.

KiltRunner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KiltRunner said...

Here's a real treat for you kiddos. My first cell was in 1997, and I was def the first person to have one in high school. It's not the exact model, but pretty damn close. Emergencies only.

http://www.cellphones.ca/cell-phones/motorola-dpc-650/#

Ric said...

ahaha. It's not as bad as the Zack Morris phone.

Speaking of which -- Gregor has a bag phone. I've seen it.