Wednesday, December 31, 2008

On to the New Year


Every year I kind of have some resolutions, but this is the first time I'll actually be putting them out for everyone to see. This thread about resolutions was kind of an eye opener, in that tons of people fail at them. But I plan on doing every one of these, so hopefully another post in 6 months updating what I've done will help keep me on pace. Without further ado:
  1. Get trained in CPR. I took a CPR class back in high school, and was certified in using an AED and CPR, but that was 5 years ago now (sheesh....), and my certification has expired. It's a handy skill that doesn't get used very often, but the fact that I could save someone's life with it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. Local colleges and town centers offer classes, all I need to do is look into it a bit more.
  2. Setup an IRA and get finances in order. Somehow I only managed to "save" 25% of my take home income. To put it mildly, this is terrible. Considering I have very few financial responsibilities compared to my peers, I should easily be able to save 40% of my take home pay and still be able to do pretty much anything I want to. So it's time to fix this. I've had a Mint account for a while now, but my primary bank account wasn't able to link with it. I'm taking steps to fix that, though, so I'll be able to do a better job setting budgets and keeping my finances in order. I also want to setup a Roth IRA to supplement my 401k. They say that every year you wait to start putting money away for retirement is another 2 years you have to push off actually retiring, so the time to act is now.
  3. Start doing Habitat for Humanity again. This is a big one. I was really into Habitat when I was in college, but since then I haven't thought much about it. The thing with Habitat is that there are lots of older gentlemen who have the know how to build the houses, but their bodies aren't willing anymore. I've got the construction know-how and a strong enough back to help out, plus it's a great feeling to see how happy the people are when they see their first house they can call their own.
  4. Go Skydiving. I did it once, during my freshman year of college, but now that Eric is finally healthy enough I think it would be a blast to get all the roommates together and go skydiving.
  5. Get up to 200 lbs, and stay there. This has been on my list of goals for a few years, but since my metabolism is finally slowing down I think this should finally be attainable. I've hovered around 190-195 all of 2008, but if I start working out more regularly and eating better I should have this accomplished by end of February. Just in time for...
  6. Visit another country. This one is already planned, but we'll be going to Florida at the end of February, and then taking a cruise to the Bahamas. This should be kind of fun, since I've only ever been to Mexico before. My passport should be coming by the end of January, so I get to stamp that right away in preparation for a larger trip later in the year, or in 2010.
  7. Get back into computers/take my job more seriously. This will be the hardest, and most important of all of them. I've been here for about a year now, and I've constantly joked about how I "do nothing." But the realization that people are losing their jobs left and right has lit a fire under my behind: I need to quit slacking off so much. I need to re-ignite my passion for computers that I had back in college, which is why I got into this field in the first place. So in that matter, I plan to either A.) build my own computer for the first time, or B.) begin upgrading my current home PC. I'm leaning towards the former, because it would be a good experience, plus then I could use my old PC for tinkering with different operating systems. The second major part of this is to take some more classes. Sadly, I've forgotten a lot of what I learned in my major, because I don't use a lot of it everyday. Perhaps getting refreshed in the fine arts of networking will allow me to do my job that much better. Plus it'll give me something to do and get me out of the house more. This probably won't happen until the fall, but doing better at my job can start on Monday.
So that's it. The Magnificent Seven resolutions for 2009. We'll check back in 183 days from now. to see how well I've done.

5 comments:

Chad said...

when you say "latter" that means the second item that you listed. The "former" would be the first.

So you building your own computer, (which i'm assuming you meant by "latteR") should be the former.

What im trying to say is:
¿Para Usted Ingles?

Gregor said...

Guh, I always f that up. Fixed.

Ric said...

I'm really happy I got CPR certified last year; but I think it's important to take a look at the notes from the course as a refresher -- because I don't remember everything I learned.

AND I passed out in class so I was a human test dummy.

Belle said...

Ahahahaha, you passed out... go figure.

So Gregor...you could build me a computer... then you can get your good deed for 2009 done early and out of the way and everything else is just bonus good deed points.

Just a thought.

Oh, and a good way to remember former and latter...latter comes later. I'm sure you know which is which and just use it wrong, but that's how I have to remember it.

By the way, I'm just kidding about building me a computer because I couldn't afford it, but good luck building your own, and super good luck reinvesting in your job. I'm thinking I wont make it to 2010 in mine.

MrB said...

I'll be building a top of the line machine next year to go with my new keyboard and mouse. Don't copy my style!