Friday, November 7, 2008

Everyone is a Nerd


Typically the term "dork" or "nerd" is applied to someone that is interested in traditionally obscure interests that are not deemed age-appropriate. Years ago I would agree with this statement, but as time has grown I've realized that everyone is a dork about something. Because we all take an interest in something beyond the usual level of curiosity into something more. Me? Well I'm very broad in my dorkitude. I like movies and comics and fantasy and useless trivia and WWII and the Brewers and action figures and video games and camping. My roommates are all dorks, whether it's about WoW or poker, or even teaching. And then it branches out from there. I know people that are super dorks about sports: they have multiple fantasy teams, constantly watch Sportscenter, wear team apparel every day they can, and never miss a game. Other people are dorks about fashion: going to the mall every week, always on the cutting edge of what's considered "stylish," watching celebrities for the next big trend. I guarantee you know someone like the last two (they're probably dating each other, actually).

Everyone is a nerd, and that's excellent. Don't hide your dorkiness, my brethren, because everyone is dorky about something.

5 comments:

BLaZE said...

In that last example, I think your confusing "dork" with "uppity bitch".

MrB said...

I thought about this two nights ago while watching this video:

http://music.aol.com/video/nothing-else-matters/metallica/1102629

It's metallica recording nothing else matters. They're awesome, but they're only awesome because they chose to be geeks/nerds about metal music. They look super nerdy in it.

Pickles31186 said...

... Or a dork about following McCain and trying to impose their opinions on other people.

Gregor said...

No, that's just being a arrogant twat.

Pickles31186 said...

well put!... but seriously... give me that D-bag's number and some drunken night I will call him out on being a right wing nut licker.