Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Things I Love #6: Cover Songs


It dawned on me last night when I was driving home from work. I was flipping through the stations when I heard "Band on the Run" by The Wings came on the radio. But it sounded....different. It took about 30 seconds into the song before I realized it was a cover. Aha! Foo Fighters have covered it, and done a beautiful job if I do say so myself. The art of covering songs is pretty hit or miss. Sometimes they sound great, to the point where they're even better than the original. Other times they can stink up the joint like a lingering beer fart. I'm especially a fan of when a famous band covers a well-known song while adding their own spin on it. It even makes you appreciate the original more. New Found Glory has two albums where they cover songs from mostly 80s movies, and more recently Glen Campbell (yes, he of "Rhinestone Cowboy" fame) covering a variety of songs in his distinctive Western style. It's the goods.

Here's some of my fave cover songs:

  • "All Along the Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix, originally Bob Dylan
  • "Love Song" by 311, originally The Cure
  • "Hurt" by Johnny Cash, originally Nine Inch Nails
  • "With a Little Help from My Friends" by Joe Cocker, originally The Beatles
  • "Baker Street" by the Foo Fighters, originally Gerry Rafferty
  • "Shout" by Disturbed, originally Tears for Fears
  • "Higher Ground" by Red Hot Chili Peppers, originally Stevie Wonder
  • "Billie Jean" by Chris Cornell, originally Michael Jackson
  • "Respect" by Aretha Franklin, originally Otis Redding
  • "I Will Survive" by Cake, originally Gloria Gaynor
  • "Hotel California" by the Gipsy Kings, originally the Eagles
  • Anything by Richard Cheese
This list is amazing, I didn't even realize that half of the songs were covers! When I get home tonight I'll add videos for all those songs up there so you can listen to the difference between the artists.

1 comment: