Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Give a Little Bit


I think it's something that gets ingrained in you as a little kid. There's this truth that you're a citizen of the world, and in order for it to be a functioning place those that can make a difference for the better should. My mom got me started on this when I was younger, from being a Big Buddy in high school (basically a Big Brother/Big Sister organization through our school) and giving blood, and then into into college when I was involved with Habitat for Humanity. Last summer it was helping sort clothes for a clothing drive for foster kids. The fact is that volunteering and helping out less fortunates is something in my life that I can look back on and be proud of, but it's amazing how many people don't share the same feelings. Why? Why is it so hard to get people to donate some money or a little time for a good cause? This bugs me to no end. We've got an event coming up at work for the United Way of Milwaukee in which I was informed that they only raised $500 last time. There are over 600 people in my department who could have donated. Math coming atcha, that's only like 83 cents per person. You cheap hosers couldn't even cough up a dollar a piece?!? Ugh. Look, let me break it down for you: Doing things for those less fortunate is a two-way street, in that you do something good for humanity for once and chances are it makes you feel better about yourself. And there are charities out there for every possible interest in the world. Do you like video games? Then give to Child's Play, which donates video games and systems to kids in Hospitals. Enjoy cars? Fix one up and donate it to Rawhide Boys Ranch. Donate blood! Donate toys! Here's a great place to match yourself with a charity.

Life is far too short to be a selfish jerk, ya know? So for once, stop thinking about yourselves and what makes you happy, and instead think about the greater good. Some of the best moments in my life have come from helping other people out.

No comments: