Friday, September 26, 2008

Things I Love #5: Band of Brothers


A perfect companion to Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers was shown in 2001 on HBO as a 10-part miniseries. BoB follows Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment during their training prior to the United State's entry into WWII up until their mission at the Eagle's Nest at the end of the war. I'm a big American history buff, and WWII is an era that fascinates me more than any other. While the haze of nostalgia might cover that era, BoB does a good job of showing the people involved in the war as what they were: men who made mistakes, but when it came down to it would do anything for each other.

Back when were still in the dorms I grabbed Band of Brothers off the LAN from another guy on the floor. Since then I've watched it 3 or 4 times, and I'm always impressed with the acting and sets. All of the guys in the movie are character actors, not blockbuster super stars, which makes it easy to believe that each of them is their character, not an actor. The sets and props are all top notch and look they've actually been lived in. I recently started watching it again on my Zen ( at work....shhhh), and even on the tiny screen it still is a powerful and moving show. Easily one of my favorite pieces of entertainment, if you haven't seen it I can't recommend it enough.

2 comments:

Ric said...

I think it's awesome that they also had various directors and crew for most episodes; you can pick out different nuances depending on who controlled what the audience saw.

My favorite was "Replacements" when Sgt. Bull Randleman gets stuck in Neunen, and has to evade the German troops by himself (with the help of that Dutch family.)

Also, Schwimmer was a dick. And Ron Livingston kicks ass.

Gregor said...

Replacements is a darn good one, Bull is a great character, always chomping on his stogie. Ron Livingston and Damien Lewis need to work together again, maybe Livingston could guest on "Life."