Thursday, September 11, 2008

Things I Love #4: Waffle Fries


The first time I ever had waffle fries was at Miller Park, of all places. They offer a pretty good deal of waffle fries covered in cheese in a collectible plastic Brewer helmet. They were a bit on the soggy side, but ever since then I always find myself saying "Could I get the waffle fries?" when offered my choice of side at a restaurant. I've had them plain and seasoned, dipped in ketchup or mustard, and they always kick ass. I think it might have something to do with the expanded surface area of the fry, in that it allows more tastiness to be sampled whence it enters the mouth. I had some last night (with an absolutely amazing Olive and Blue Cheese Burger) that were lightly seasoned and hot out of the fryer. I was in fry heaven.

A little back story on Fries in general, from the Wiki.

A Belgian legend claims that the term "French" was introduced when British or American soldiers arrived in Belgium during World War I, and consequently tasted Belgian fries. They supposedly called them "French", as it was the official language of the Belgian Army at that time. But the term "French fried potatoes" had been in use in America long before the Great War. Whether or not Belgians invented them, "frites" became the national snack and a substantial part of both national dishes — making the Belgians their largest per capita consumers[in Europe, and their "symbolic" creators.

My Belgian heritage is definitely coming out in my love for Waffle fries. Om nom nom.

2 comments:

Ric said...

That picture made me hungry.

Chad said...

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOADMFASDGFNM ad asodgnm argnik agf;b rghi 4'ag 'lkhset 6