Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Foo Fighters

The first time I saw the Foo Fighters in concert was the summer of 2006 at the Kohl Center in Madison. They were opening for Bob Dylan, and doing an all acoustic show coming off their half acoustic/half rock album In Your Honor. I'd only heard a little of the FF's acoustic output other than In Your Honor (mostly just Dave Grohl playing "Everlong" on the Howard Stern Show or covering "Tiny Dancer" on the Late Late Show.) Seeing them acoustic did not disappoint, in anyway. There's something about seeing a band unplugged that really makes you appreciate just how good certain songs are, and "My Hero" and "Everlong" have never sounded as good as that night. Bob Dylan paled in comparison.

Anywho, when I heard that the Foo Fighters were going to be coming to Milwaukee for the Harley-Davidson 105th Celebration I couldn't pass up the opportunity to see them again, this time outside right on Lake Michigan. Damn, what a fantastic concert it was. They rocked hard for most of it, had a sweet funk jam for a bit, mixed in some nice acoustic in the middle, then went back to rocking to finish strong. Dave Grohl was as funny and entertaining as ever, the band was really into it, and even the guy who plays triangle was brought out, front and center, for a sweet solo (which the crowd loved). I'll go see those guys play again and again, and love it every time.

Setlist (I think I'm missing some)

All My Life
Times Like These
Big Me
Long Road to Ruin
Stacked Actors
Breakout
Learn to Fly
Let it Die
Cold Day in the Sun
Skin and Bones
My Hero
Cheer Up, Boys (Your Makeup Is Running).
Everlong
Best of You
The Pretender

(BTW, Three Days Grace opened for the Foo Fighters, and they were equally as good. I've had both their cds for a long time, and listened to them so many times that I knew every song they played, which was very cool. Best part was where the lead singer Adam did an acoustic version of Alice in Chain's "Rooster," which kicked all sorts of hind parts.

No comments: