Monday, September 29, 2008

26 Years in the Making


Wow. What an end to the season! Thanks to the bat of Ryan Braun and the left arm of CC Sabathia the Brewers are going to the playoffs for the first time since 1982. I never got a chance to see that team play (being just a twinkle in my mom's eye at the time), but I embraced the twilight years of players like Paul Molitor, Robin Yount, and Jim Gantner in the early 90s. I had all their baseball cards in my binder, and I vaguely remember going to one Brewer game at County Stadium with my family when I was around 6 or 7. From then I didn't go to another game until high school, when our baseball team went down to a game in April at the brand new Miller Park. I remember being inside and nearly getting vertigo: I'd never seen anything like it before! The roof was closed and it was so big! So high up! And so far down to the field from our seats.....

Anyways, since then I've been to about 20 Brewer games over different years and with different groups of people (including some AMAZING games in the past two years), so it's great that a team that struggled so much throughout the 90s and 00s will finally be back in the playoffs. Here's hoping they can add another pennant to Miller Parks upper wall. Now comes the hard part: Do I fork over $100+ for a chance to see them at Miller Park this Saturday? Or do I get together a big group of people at a local purveyor of fine hops to enjoy it with fellow Brewer fans? Hmmm....

2 comments:

MrB said...

purveoyerere ftw

Ric said...

In 1982, the last time the Brewers made the playoffs:

-Commodore International released the Commodore 64 8-bit home computer, available for $525.

-USA Today began publishing.

-The Weather Channel debuted.

-Oreo introduced the Double Stuffed cookie.

-A German company pressed the first musical recording available on compact disc.