Friday, August 1, 2008

Top 5 Songs

This was the hardest one, easily. There are SO many songs to pick from it's kind of hard to pick just 5. I went with 5 songs that I've liked for years, songs that I could listen to on repeat over and over again and still never really get sick of them. Click the links to go to Youtube and watch videos of them in action.
  1. "Hurt" by Johnny Cash. My first introduction to the Man in Black, Hurt's video is what really gets you. Even Trent Reznor, whom Cash covered, that "...I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore…" Listening to this song got me into the rest of Cash's catalog of music, and culminated in me dancing to "Ring of Fire" last night at the fair...hahah. Anyways......one of the best videos ever, check it out.
  2. "You Know You're Right" by Nirvana. The last official single from Nirvana, released after Cobain had died, this is one of the first songs I ever downloaded (Using Kazaa......aaahh, memories!). I'd always been a big fan of Nirvana, but there's something about releasing new music after an artist has died that adds a poignancy to it. While there are some other phenomonal Nirvana songs ("Breed", "On a Plain"), I've been a big fan of this song since it came out, and it's not one of their more popular songs.
  3. "The Ocean" by Led Zeppelin. Picking just one Led Zeppelin song is real hard, but "The Ocean"'s great guitar riff is too good to pass up. Another lesser known song from a fantastic band, it's signature Zeppelin all the way (OooooOoooo Yeah!). And the bridge, the bridge! Aaahh, it's music to my ears, literally.
  4. "Where Have You Been?" by Reel Big Fish. Chad introduced me to Reel Big Fish back during freshmen year of college, and it honestly took me a while to appreciate them, mainly because it wasn't like anything I had heard before. A rock band, with brass instruments? What is this? They're one of my favorite bands now, and I've managed to see them twice in concert, both being great shows. My favorite song of theirs is this one, mainly because I sing along as loud as possible whenever it comes on. It's just one of those songs.
  5. "Everlong" by Foo Fighters. My favorite song (I'm not the only one, check out the bottom of the page), by one of my favorite artists. My buddy Nater said he'd want this as his wedding song, and you know? I approve. The original version is pitch perfect, but the acoustic version would make a great wedding song. I love me some Everlong.

Honorable Mention: "Pardon Me" by Incubus, "Shadow on the Sun" by Audioslave, "Apeman" by The Kinks, and "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty.

1 comment:

Ric said...

I don't know how you did it. I could count down artists.. but songs? nice work.

btw, you spelled Kurt's last name wrong. I'm not gonna hold it against you. But anytime you talk about music, I might bring it up.