Thursday, July 31, 2008

Top 5 Movies

Movies are the great uniter. As Dark Knight seemed to prove, EVERYONE in America has a tendency to see movies. People of all ages and walks of life will watch the same comedy and laugh just as hard. Earlier this year I started tracking how many movies I'd seen on IMDB.com, and it totaled up to 765 (and counting). The funny thing is that both Jesse and Shawn had over a 1000. And I thought I had no life.....

Anyways! Here's my Top 5 Movies, in no particular order.
  1. Ghostbusters. It might have come out before I was even born, but Ghostbusters is one of those rare comedies that holds up well over time, and multiple viewings. A perfect cast of characters, some of the best quotes ever ( Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!), crazy action, an original premise. There are very times when this is on TV that I don't sit down and watch it, at least for a while. The sequel is almost as good, too. I had a bunch of the toys when I was younger, plus watched the cartoon religiously. So yeah, big Ghostbusters fan. And the fact that they're coming out with a video game that's essentially Ghostbusters III (with all the major cast members coming back for voice-overs) has me downright giddy.
  2. Big Lebowski. I'll admit it, I didn't watch anything other than "mainstream" movies for much of my young. Only in college was I revealed to the greatness that is Boondock Saints, Pulp Fiction, Evil Dead, and my personal favorite Big Lebowski. The best thing about the movie is that the first time you watch it, it really doesn't make much sense. The more you watch it the characters come alive and the funnier all the dumb stuff is. In college we started doing "The Big Lebowski Challenge," wherein we would drink a shot of beer every time the word "fuck" is said. I'm pretty sure we've never actually finished the challenge, because it's said 281 times. My dream is to go to Lebowski Fest one of these years. And I pull out a quote from Big Lebowski at least once a week....at least I'm housebroken. =)
  3. Lord of the Rings Trilogy. When I heard they were making these movies I pretty much geeked out. This was the time in my life when i was REALLY into Lord of the Rings, and to see them come to life on the bring screen was my dream. I was eagerly following what would happen on TheOneRing.net, and went opening night for Fellowship of the Ring. It exceeded my expectations, just like the two sequels did. I not ashamed to admit I squirted out a few tears when Boromir died, and when Frodo and Gandalf sail off at the end of Return of the King. I've got the extended edition DVDs (in the fancy cases that look like books) which I really need to watch now that I've got an HD TV. At first I was kind of sad that Peter Jackson wasn't directing The Hobbit, but Guillermo Del Toro is a great choice. I'll be eagerly looking forward to seeing that one.
  4. Shawshank Redemption. Probably one of the best movies ever made (not just in my esteem, 352,357 others agree), this is also probably the movie I've seen the most on this list thanks to constant showings on TNT and TBS the past 8 years. I remember first watching this movie with my parents when I was 10 and loving it then. Imagine how much I didn't understand as a kid (I thought those guys in the boiler room just wanted to beat him up, not rape him, etc). A movie with great humor, fantastic themes of love, redemption, and friendship, plus a fantastic cast (Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman have never been better) makes for one of my favorite movies ever.
  5. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Don't laugh! Hear me out: I'm almost positive this is the first movie I ever saw in the theatres. You'd have a hard time finding a bigger TMNT fan than me in 1990: Every birthday and Christmas was Turtle action figures, I wore a Turtle costume for Halloween, watched the show every Saturday, played in the woods with my neighbor Paul as the Turtles. But watching them on TV and seeing them in the theatre was two different things. These live action Turtles got hurt, swore ("Come back here! I'm not finished with you! DAAAAMN!") argued like brothers, and were generally who I wanted to be when I grew up. I have a hard time watching a lot of movies from the late 80s-early 90s, just because they look cheesy. However, the Turtle costumes still look better than some practical effects done today, and the fight scenes had the right mix of humor and action. Still a favorite of mine 18 years and a whole lot of growing up later.

Honorable mention: The Incredibles, Iron Giant, Monsters, Inc ( I had a really hard time not putting one of these animated movies in the Top 5, just because I think each of these three movies showed you could have a mature story with the "cartoony" nature of animation, much like Batman: The Animated Series), Black Hawk Down, Office Space, Pulp Fiction, and Snatch

No comments: