Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Things move a little slower on Nokomis.

I headed home this past weekend to see the family a bit, and Saturday after visiting with my nieces for a while I headed up to Lake Nokomis, near Tomahawk WI. Me and my family have been camping up there since I was about 10 years old. We stay at Campers Haven, a rustic campground with a beach and and island about 50 yards out. When we were younger my buddies Brad and Jesse and I used to camp out on the peninsula that juts out into the lake. We'd put up our tents just feet from the water, and cookout and drink all night long, listening to weird rap acts from the 90s that Jesse had found. Jesse's grandparents own the campground, and originally he was going to be a Teacher during the year, and he'd have 3 months during the summer to run the campground when they had handed it down to him. However with Jesse changing career paths and his grandfather passing away this year I'm left wondering what will happen to the campground.



Anyways, I was up there this weekend for the first time this year, and it just reminded me that things move a lot slower up there. Nothing has changed, at all from last year. Drivers go the speed limit, everything is cooked on the grill (except the fresh picked strawberries), beers are passed around graciously, "fuck" is peppered generously into every story, country music quietly twangs in the background of a roaring fire. I may be a "big city boy" now according to everyone up there, but there are few things I enjoy more than being up there. Maybe I should look into buying that campground....hmmm..

2 comments:

Chad said...

Probably wouldn't be a bad investment, especially when you let me construct high-rise condos there and turn it into a tourist mecca making me rich.

MrB said...

You pitch tents with your friends? I knew it...