Thursday, July 24, 2008

Nobody Likes a Loser


So I read the Brewer Blog on Jsonline.com everyday, because it's updated 2 or 3 times a day with stories about the Brewers. However, the people who comment on the blog constantly complain about "those fair weather Brewer fans," people that are getting into the Brewers now that they're starting to do really well. The truth of the matter is this: watching a team lose all the time sucks. It's a simple fact of human nature is that no one (except masochists) enjoys losing. If you keep losing at something, you typically stop. Conversely, winning is fun! And watching a local team win is great!

Now, it may be my proximity to Miller Park, but I've found myself going to more Brewer games, and especially watching a ton more games on TV. (BTW, I've always said watching baseball on TV is boring, but I rescind that comment. If you're familiar with the team it makes a world of difference) Now, would I be doing this if the Brewers were sucking? Probably not. The reason people watch sports is to A.) Watch a competition between highly skilled athletes, and B.) Feel like they're part of the team. But you really don't feel like part of the team when the team you're cheering for is getting stomped game after game.

So here's to all the "Fair Weather Fans!" I feel for you folks...hopefully I'll see you at the game on Friday!

Also, this is probably the best idea for a Brewers site ever. PeeYourPantsForTheBrewers.com states that "I have never seen a full Brewers season where they make the playoffs. Born in July 1982, I missed that amazing World Series run. It’s been a long 25 years- the longest playoff drought in baseball. With a young team of quality stars and shrewd management, we’re boldly making our move. I get so excited thinking about the Brewers now, a little pee comes out. In fact, When the Brewers make the playoffs I will pee my pants." So far 7,079 Brewers fan have agreed to pee their pants if the Brewers make the playoffs. Well, count me in and make that 7,080!

No comments: