Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Jumping on the Bandwagon #1: Dexter


When we moved into our place in New Berlin in January we decided that we'd be able to afford a full compliment of cable TV channels, since splitting a $90 bill 4 ways ended up being pretty cheap. Now, I haven't had access to "premium channels" since I was living at home with my parents (and all they had was Starz), so the prospect of watching movies anytime I wanted to was very exciting. Something I hadn't thought about was the plethora of quality TV shows that are on HBO and Showtime.

One show that I had heard about in the past from Jesse and Mark was Dexter. A Showtime series based on the novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, Dexter follows the story of Dexter Morgan, a blood spatter analyst for the Miami Police Department. However, Dexter has a secret that no one knows: He's actually a serial killer, using his police connections to kill people who "deserve it," but who the legal system cannot prosecute. Dex constantly struggles with his lack of emotions, especially when dealing with his emotionally damaged girlfriend Rita and his sister Deborah. It's a great mixture of action, horror, psychology, and humor, and Michael C. Hall is great as Dexter. He can make anyone sympathize with his mission of ridding the world of bad people, though he himself has demons. Showtime currently has seasons 1 and 2 On Demand, with Season 3 starting on September 28th. Highly recommended.
Oh, and please don't spoil Season 2 for me! I'm only 4 episodes in to it and I want to be surprised. Gracias!

1 comment: