Wednesday, June 11, 2008

If I died today...


I was thinking about this the other day: If I died today, at the age of 23, would I be happy with what I've accomplished in my life? Sure, 23 years might not seem like that long of time, but it's actually 12,088,800 minutes of me breathing on this Earth. Living without regrets is a difficult thing to do: surely we all regret some of the decisions we made in the past. Relationships we did or didn't have. Friends we made or left behind. Jobs we did or didn't get. Adventures we did or didn't take. Looking beyond the regrets, if I had to grade myself on how well I've done over these past 23 years I'd probably give myself about a B-. I've done a lot of things I'm proud of: built houses with my bare hands, skydived, made great friendships, parasailed, jumped off railroad bridges into lakes, held my newborn nieces, seen the sun reflecting off Lake Nokomis as it rises on a Sunday morning, been a good son, graduated college, volunteered for the less fortunate, scuba dived.
But I haven't traveled nearly enough: I've only left the US once. I haven't loved enough. I haven't fought enough. I still haven't found a job that doesn't feel like a job (though a lot of people never do). With so much free time I should be accomplishing more, instead of spending so much time inside. "Get busy living, or get busy dying," as it were.

It looks like I've got some stuff to work on....I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: